Lots of people suffer injuries from time to time, and you need to know how to treat them when they take place. While it is important to reach out to a healthcare professional if you suffer an injury, if you know how to treat minor injuries ahead of time, you can start the treatment process sooner, which can expedite the recovery process.
One of the most important acronyms you need to know when it comes to handling minor injuries is PRICE. What does PRICE stand for, and how can it help you with the recovery process? Keep reading to find out.
An Overview: What Does PRICE Stand For?
PRICE is an acronym that stands for protection, rest, ice, compression, and elevation. It is one of the most commonly used treatment plans for minor injuries, including muscle strains, ligament sprains, bruises, contusions, and other small injuries. The acronym itself stands for:
- Protection: If you have injured a part of your body, it is vulnerable to complications. You need to protect that part of your body to prevent it from getting injured further, and that means removing stress from that portion of your body.
- Rest: You also need to give the injured area time to heal. For example, if you have suffered a wrist injury, you should try to avoid using that wrist for a few days or weeks, depending on the severity of the injury.
- Ice: Ice is also important during that recovery process because it can reduce inflammation. While you should apply ice to an injured body part, you do not want to put the ice pack directly on your skin.
- Compression: Compression can also be beneficial because it can reduce swelling. Compression can also provide some additional support to an injured body part. Just do not wrap the body part too tightly, or you could limit blood flow to that area.
- Elevation: Elevation can also be beneficial because it can further reduce swelling. If you elevate an injured body part, gravity can work in your favor, preventing a body part from swelling.
If you take these simple steps, you may make it easier for your body to recover.
See a Chiropractor for a More Comprehensive Recovery Plan
Even though PRICE can help you get on the road to recovery, it only represents the first step. It is important for you to visit a chiropractor to figure out what else you need to do to complete the recovery process. For example, a chiropractor can help you:
- Figure out how long it will take you to complete the recovery process
- Identify activities that you may want to complete and activities that you may want to avoid
- Choose exercises that can help you strengthen vulnerable areas of your body
- Identify other symptoms and complications that you may want to watch out for
- Perform chiropractic adjustments that can help you put your body in the best position possible to make a full recovery
For all of these reasons, you need to reach out to a local chiropractor as quickly as possible following an injury, no matter how minor it might be.
Treat an Injury Quickly and Appropriately
The first few steps you take following an injury can be essential in your recovery process. If you understand exactly what to do following an injury, you can limit further damage and quicken the recovery process. PRICE can be a great first step in helping you recover from a muscle strain or ligament sprain, but do not forget that you also need to reach out to a chiropractor who can help you complete the recovery process.
If you don’t have a local chiropractor, we’d love to help! Give us a call and our Doctor of Chiropractic will help put you back on the best road for recovery.
This article is copyrighted by Blogging Chiropractors for its Doctor of Chiropractic members and may not be copied or duplicated in any manner including printed or electronic media, regardless of whether for a fee or gratis without the prior written permission of Blogging Chiropractors.
For More Information
We would be happy to answer any questions you have about this article, general spinal health or your specific situation. To discuss your symptoms and concerns call (208) 656-8883.
DID YOU ENJOY THIS ARTICLE?
If so, get email updates for free! Just leave your email address in the field provided below and we'll handle the rest.
NEED TO SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT?
Then call Dr. Todd Orchard at (208) 656-8883 today!
160 E. Valley River Drive #3
Rexburg, Idaho 83440
How We Are Different
Dr. Orchard is a unique Rexburg chiropractor who specializes in difficult cases that have not responded to other care. All treatment plans are highly individualized based on your specific history, needs and goals.
Areas We Serve
We are located in Rexburg and serve the communities that reside in zip codes 83440, 83460, 83442, 83448, and 83445. However, we see patients from a large radius around Rexburg which include Brigham Young University, Rigby, Sugar City, and St. Anthony because of the unique, customized treatment options we offer.